PDA

View Full Version : Patron saint

wannabe-EMT
10-12-2001, 12:56 AM
Does anyone know who the patron saint is for EMS workers? I know St. Florian is the fire service patron saint, but I've read that Michael the Archangel is the patron saint of EMTs and paramedics, among others. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I realize it's trivial, but it's something I'd like to get straight.

IAMedic
10-12-2001, 09:52 AM
We don't have a specific Saint for Emergency Medical Services, as of yet. However, we can actually claim two Patrons of Saints, St. Florian and St. John of God. I have always thought that both of these Saints are very appropriate for Firefighter and/or EMT's. If you are an FF/EMT you'd probably be inclined to recognize St. Florian, and if you are an EMT/Paramedic, you may be more inclined to site with St. John of God (be prepared to share this Saint with Nurses and the very ill, though). So take your pick or choose both. I am glad that someone has brought this up. I have a couple URL's for people who are not familiar with what a Patron Saint is and whom these saints are. We can lobby for Saints to represent us, however, I am not sure how to go about it. Maybe, we should start lobbying for Mother Theresa of Calcutta. Just a thought.

What is a Patron Saint?? (http://saints.catholic.org/patron.html)

St. Florian (http://saints.catholic.org/saints/florian.html)

St. John of God (http://saints.catholic.org/saints/johngod.html)

Engine58
10-12-2001, 04:00 PM
if im not mistaken I think Michael the Archangel is the Patron saint of EMT's I looked for information on this a while back and thats what I came up with....theres not really too much information on him other than he's the patron saint of EMT's & Police Officers...

eyeOthestorm
10-18-2001, 02:37 AM
"officially" what I was told was that St. Luke is the patron saint of medical people.... It has never been confirmed that he was a Dr. it has been suggested that it was an honorary title. I have chosen St.s Cosmos and Damian. They were brothers who were doctors and never took any money for their good deeds. I feel that they are closer to my job description than other saints. I think it is a personal decision. I also have nominated St. Christopher for the job since we are on the road constantly.
:)

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: inthe_eyeofthestorm ]

IAMedic
10-18-2001, 09:12 AM
Wow, I have looked at all of the Patron's listed, and I can see that any of us can be right. I had no idea my world would come crashing down around me and I would be so confused...lol... I heard also, about Michael the Archangel when I was in my B.S. course for Law Enforcement, but I can understand how he can be associated with EMS also. I don't think it really matters, just as long as you hold your virtues to the same level as the Saint the you admire.

UAF
10-18-2001, 02:33 PM
I had also thought of SS. Cosmos and Damian, but don't forget St. Pantelemion (sp?).

Maybe in due time, it'll be St. Mychal of the FDNY...

Althea Forhan
10-26-2001, 03:39 PM
St. Michael the Archangel is more of a police/military saint; he's affiliated with warrior types. St. Nicolas could be considered patron of EMS because he resucitated thee young boys who drowned in a pickle barrel.

One of the prayers the priest has been saying lately asks that the firefighters, EMS, and police be crowned as if they were martyrs. :(