PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness EMT's are there any here?

WindDanzer
01-10-2003, 11:37 PM
I brought up this course at my monthly meeting and a lot of people ar every interested in it. Plus if we get enough interest, we can be a sponser and have them come to us. Needless to say, I'm waiting for the info in the mail from SOLO (http://www.soloschools.com/home.html).

Anyway, has anyone here gone through the 5 day module (if you were already an EMT) or the full training course?

What was it like?
Did you enjoy it?
Was it a lot of classroom work?
How was the final test, or did you not have one?
Did the come to you or did you go to them?

I'm sure I have more ?'s but I'm beat and can't remember anything. :D :D

Thanks all!! :)

MtnRsq
01-13-2003, 11:47 AM
I wish I could give you some beta on SOLO, but I have not dealt with them personally.

I have heard good things second hand that the course is valuable.

WEMSI is another good source (http://www.wemsi.org) and offers a broad selection of courses.

You mentioned this course is for a group - make sure this type of certification is what you need (and is recognized appropriately by your state/AHJ). You don't want to wade through significant material that is not relevant to your group's needs.

Depending on how the course is structured - people that don't have good outdoor-related skills (i.e., layering, managing their personal hydration/nutrition, proper gear, etc.) may end up struggling during certain aspects of the training and not being able to focus on the medical elements that they are there to learn. This flavor of EMS can be VERY demanding physically - significantly different from urban EMS. Make sure people are physically up to the challenge. Check the requirements/pre-requisites or talk to the SOLO staff.

You'll learn a lot. Enjoy!

SCSESATech
01-13-2003, 12:08 PM
I tried to take a wilderness EMT, but all the classes are too far for me to spend a week away. It has been recommend by NASAR and NCRC people to attend one. Improvising is one of the most useful abilities from the class. It is a lot different to perform EMS functions without the luxury of the ambulance and equipment. I am taking my EMT-B now(not by much choice). I still have a hard time trying to get Urban EMT to have interest in Wilderness EMT. I like to see what they will do if they are needed for a cave rescue; or during a disaster when there isnít enough resources to go around.