PDA

View Full Version : Best stethoscope for an ambulance

jahilde
04-17-2003, 12:05 PM
For quite some time I have been happy with my first stethoscope, a cheap no frills model from my basic class. But now I am looking into purchasing something a little more advanced (to match the new paramedic smell). Does anyone have a good recommendation for a steth that works well in the back of an ambulance? It seems that exterior sound dampening is the most important feature but what have people found from their own experience? Thanks for your help!

EMTfarmer
04-17-2003, 12:17 PM
We like the Littmann Classic II or the Classic II SE. I would caution against the amplified type as they tend to amplify unwanted sounds as well. If you have been using one of the cheap stethoscopes you will like the difference!

Ltmdepas3280
04-17-2003, 12:37 PM
"a cheap no frills model "

Clean Ears!!!!!:D :D :D :D

DaSharkie
04-17-2003, 05:07 PM
I agree with the Littmann. Either the Classic II or the Lightwieght Classic. They work quite well and so long as you use the conforming eartips do a great job blocking out most of the road noise you encounter running down the road in the back of the rig.

If you've been doing this for a while you have probably figured out that getting a B/P in the back of a rig is difficult if you are moving.

I have a lightweight classic in my jump kit and a Cardiology model that I use when I work my shifts as a medic.

They are well worth the money. Just get a nametag and mark it up so you know it is yours.

29MED21
04-18-2003, 02:45 AM
I've been using a Litmann Cardiology III for about two years now and I absolutely love it. The accoustics are excellent and the dual diaphrams come in very handy with pediatric patients. I also have an ADC scope that I keep in my jump kit. It's pretty much the same as the Classic II from Littman and it cost about $20 less. My pick still goes to the Cardiology scope though, and like DaSharkie said, make sure you tag it and mark it... they sometimes have a habit of walking :mad:

While I'm at it, DaSharkie, what part of Mass are you in?

DaSharkie
04-18-2003, 08:58 AM
In order to protect the guilty, I am in the North Central part of the state. From here I can see freedom.........New Hampshire. Ahhh. Beautiful tax free New Hampshire.

Med29 brings up a good point. I also say that stethoscope that you buy should have dual bells for the variety of calls you go on. Sometimes you can hear stuff in one bell that you couldn't hear in the other.

wyobow
04-18-2003, 06:30 PM
I also use the Littmans. The Classic II and Classic II SE are really good stethoscopes. As mentioned by others, put your name all over them. They'll probably still disappear, but maybe not as quickly.

tom2003
04-19-2003, 01:18 AM
I have a Littmann Cardiology 3. I chose it because it has a thick tube that is insulated well, knocks out freeway noise, siren noise, your EMT student that wont shut up(ha ha ha, just kidding), the radio, etc. It has multiple size ear tips, so you will get a good seal. The Cardiology 3 also has adult and pediatric positions. Oh yeah and a "Tumbler" check that out, its hard to explain.

tom2003
04-19-2003, 01:20 AM
A good stethoscope will grow legs, I keep mine arround my neck at all times. It prevents theft, and I can preform a rapid assessment with what I have on me.

smurfe
04-19-2003, 01:39 AM
I have a Littmann Master Classic that I really like, but on the truck I usually just use a cheepie Sprauge type, but I do have those nice soft Littmann earpieces on it, I really can't tell any difference in acoustics. I have lost a few high dollar scopes, so just use the cheap ones now.

Smurfe:D

hageremtp
04-19-2003, 10:35 AM
Take your new toy to the local Jewerly store and have the bell engraved with your name, that way even if the cheap nametag is torn off, your name is still on the scope! Something I found that really prevented my stethoscope from growing "legs" and walking away, numerous times!!

king255
04-20-2003, 12:37 AM
anything Littmann, just pick what u feel most comfortable with.

sambo5
04-20-2003, 05:02 PM
Do yourself a big favour and buy a Littman Master Cardiology, it has the advantage of a much larger diaphragm to get maximum sounds while having a thicker tube for improved sound insulation while also having a bigger lumen to better transmit the sounds from the diaphragm. I believe that by only having one diaphragm you are less likely to get extraneous sounds and avoid the problem in designs where you rotate the diaphragm / bell to get a smaller diaphragm such as the Cardilogy 3 model. The Master Cardilogy has an adapter for doing paediatric patients which I have never used as I find the scope to work perfectly well without it. Make sure you conspicuously mark your stethescope, so that people feel less inclined to steal it.

29MED21
04-21-2003, 02:02 AM
Hey Sharkie, I'm in the same area :cool: You wouldn't happen to be near Fitchburg would you?

DaSharkie
04-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Hey Sharkie, I'm in the same area You wouldn't happen to be near Fitchburg would you?

If a stiff wind blows I could spit and hit the Fitchburg city limits.

hageremtp
04-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Up in the attic last night of the station I found the "best-ever-made" ambulance stethoscope....EVER. ITs a pair of ear muffs (kind you would use when shooting skeet or working around airplanes), they had holes drilled into the ears, with stethoscope ear pieces into the holes. Then a rubber washing to block sound. THis piece was adjustable to slide them into your ears, just like your "normal" stethoscope. Double tube, runs into single half way down that runs into the diaphragm. Took it out on a call, looks Dumb, works great!! I will try to get a picture when I work again Friday!!!

911brad
04-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by hageremtp
Up in the attic last night of the station I found the "best-ever-made" ambulance stethoscope....EVER. ITs a pair of ear muffs (kind you would use when shooting skeet or working around airplanes), they had holes drilled into the ears, with stethoscope ear pieces into the holes. Then a rubber washing to block sound. THis piece was adjustable to slide them into your ears, just like your "normal" stethoscope. Double tube, runs into single half way down that runs into the diaphragm. Took it out on a call, looks Dumb, works great!! I will try to get a picture when I work again Friday!!!

We have a pair like this on our rig. We use them for a variety of reasons: hard to get BP's on the road, taking a BP in a noisy area such as an industrial setting or on scene with extrication equipment. Like Spong Bob said they look kinda dumb, but work great.

Brad

btroutm
04-23-2003, 12:20 AM
I still use the cheapos...they're not the best but they get the job done. If you want a nice one, then a Littmann is definately the way to go. They're expensive, but they're worth it. Just don't let it out of your sight, they have a habit walking off.

ffemt1361
04-23-2003, 03:03 PM
When I first started out I bought a $30.00 Sprague style stethoscope. After a year I got a Littman. I love my Littman never had any problems with it. The Classic II or the Lightweight Classic are also good choices. Good luck with your decision.

tom2003
04-24-2003, 06:50 PM
Littmann has a ner Cardiology model, the Cardiology STC, anyone used it, feedback?

EMTBFox
04-26-2003, 12:07 PM
I think that we all love Littman products. I use the Classic II. I had another one for about a year when I fisrt started and it was hard to get BPs/Lung sounds in the rig. NJ roads suck. Even with the Clasic II I still hear the road(even better now) but I can at least hear what I want to hear.

creekmedic
04-27-2003, 02:36 PM
I have found the Littman Classic II to work very well in noisy conditions in the back of the ambulance. Cardiology III would probably sound better if cost is not an option.

Resq14
04-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by hageremtp

LOL

It's comforting to know we have similar junk..I mean TREASURES stored in our station.

:D

They do look goofy... I couldn't bring myself to actually dusting them off and wearing them. But hey, if they work, why not?

Robertsc
08-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Like This ? (http://www.buyemp.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=1032801)
we just bought a couple for our rig, thumbs up on these

bigJ164019
08-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by sambo5
Do yourself a big favour and buy a Littman Master Cardiology, it has the advantage of a much larger diaphragm to get maximum sounds while having a thicker tube for improved sound insulation while also having a bigger lumen to better transmit the sounds from the diaphragm. I believe that by only having one diaphragm you are less likely to get extraneous sounds and avoid the problem in designs where you rotate the diaphragm / bell to get a smaller diaphragm such as the Cardilogy 3 model. The Master Cardilogy has an adapter for doing paediatric patients which I have never used as I find the scope to work perfectly well without it. Make sure you conspicuously mark your stethescope, so that people feel less inclined to steal it.

I also use the Littman Master Cardiology and love it.
I have a Littman Classic II in my jump bag, but carry the Master Cardiology around my neck on shifts/calls.

latigo
08-09-2003, 01:51 AM
But check out the Doctors Research Group 'scopes. I love my traditional, and wouldn't trade it. People who own Littmans and have used mine, want to trade. The researchers at Bose Labs were in on the development of it, and the sound quality is terrific. It really blocks the external noise a lot.

mattmedic
08-11-2003, 06:22 AM
I agree with sambo5; the master cardiology from Littman!:D

mjmallo
08-12-2003, 06:54 PM
one more vote for the master cardiology. Had a Cardiology II for years until some &^$%&* walked off with it. Like the master even better.

eyeOthestorm
08-13-2003, 01:12 AM
Littman gets my vote too.... Any model!

alcsmith
08-15-2003, 03:20 PM
The best one I have used so far was a Sprague Adscope 641 with the clear ear pieces (Mushroom I think). THey supplied comfort and the sound I needed. I had a to get rid of it because my trunk took a chunk from the tubes....

Al Smith
Rhawnhurst Ambulance EMS

IAMedic
08-15-2003, 04:32 PM
I thought I replied to this one already...dang, how'd I miss that. Oh well, I have the Littman Master Classic II and I love it. I got it off Ebay for about $80, I believe.

fireakm579
08-15-2003, 10:23 PM
I use to use a Littmann LIghtweight, but I think one of the closet monsters ate it, so I bought a Littmann Classic II S.E. I've tried to use a sprague, but I couldn't hear what I needed to as well. The Classic works very well in the back of a rig.

ALS142
08-17-2003, 10:50 AM
I've been using a Littman "Master Cardiology" for the past 15 years or so. Love it. It comes with a rubber cup which fits over the diaphragm and blocks extraneous noise while focusing the sounds you want to hear into the diaphragm.

Before you buy, test the various models on a given sound source (either yourself, the salesperson or a friend). Good luck.

Medic946
08-22-2003, 01:10 PM
I've had a Littman Master Classic since they first came out on the market. It's single diaphragm head makes it compact enough to slip into the pockets of my EMS trousers, but still give good clarity for the prehopsital enviroment. When I work as an ER nurse I use a Cardiology III, it's okay, a lot heavier but I can discern only minimal improvement over the Master Classic. Check out WWW.Reddingmedical.com they have the Master Classic in the $60-70 range and I've gotten packages from them in as little as one day. Good luck!

jonesy0924
08-24-2003, 02:45 AM
I use a cardiology 2 SE and I love it....:D