PDA

View Full Version : Hyperventilation during CPR may be dangerous Hy

JBignell
04-08-2004, 11:44 AM

Hyperventilation during CPR may be dangerous Hy

Helena, Ark - A new study has identified a tendency by EMS personnel to hyperventilate during CPR on out-of-hospital cardiac arrest patients.

A follow-up to a previous animal study (See Western Chimpanzee study, Dr. Samuel Longhorn Bledson, et al. 2004) showed respiration rates similar to those found in the field while performing CPR resulted in increased intracranial pressure, decreased cerebral perfusion and function, and reduced fluid retention.

http://www.defrance.org/artman/publish/article_746.shtml

John Bignell
http://www.emslive.com

Weruj1
04-10-2004, 08:19 PM
and before you know it we will hangin D5W on Mini drip tubing using demand vales with silicone BVM's............I recently sat through a CPR recert class, man o man ......... everytime you turn around ....we should almost be saving everyone ! :cool:

BCALS11
04-12-2004, 02:22 AM
Makes sense..... an increased respiratory rate in an already underperfused patient (e.g. dead) would lead to decreased venous return to the right heart, a significant V/Q mismatch (excellent alveolar ventilation, impaired tissue oxygenation/perfusion), and as an end result, profoundly compromised cardiac output. All of this deficit combined with a patient receiving 25-30% cardiac output (at best) from CPR leads to a well ventilated, acidodic, hypoxemic, underperfused, DEAD patient.

Gotta keep the gang on the "once every five seconds" game I guess. Five seconds sure feels like a long time between ventilations in the real world but it certainly seems like an easy thing to modify in our practice to improve patient outcomes in regards to both morbidity and mortality.

The humourous part of the article was pretty good too....

Brickster
04-15-2004, 01:23 PM
What's it going to do? Kill 'em?

shammrock54
04-15-2004, 03:00 PM
As i tell my students during First Responder classes or new EMTs "They're already dead almost anything we do is a plus, because doing nothing will only result in them still being dead!"