PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Carry In Your Trauma Kit/Bag Jump Bag/Kit

emtman
04-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm New To This Forum So Hello. I'm In A Emt-B Class Right Now{Hoping To Pass}..I've Been In Emergency Medicine For A Long Time Since I Was 12. That's When I Got C.P.R And First Aid Trained And Passed The Class. When I Was 14 I Got A Trauma Kit Worth About 250.00 And I LOVED It. So Back To My Post. What Do All You Carry In Your Medic/Trauma/Jump Kit I'm Going To List What I Have So Far..Tell What You Think I Mite Should Add.

Bag #1

Infection Control
1 alcohol gel
1 biohazard bag
1 pair Excalibur safety glasses

Bandages and Dressings
4 triangular bandages
2 10" x 30" trauma dressings
6 each 2" Flexicon rolled gauze
6 each 4" Flexicon rolled gauze
25 each 4" x 4" sterile gauze pads
5 each ABD pads
4 each 1/2" x 5 yds adhesive tape
10 each 3/4" x 3" adhesive bandages

EMS Equipment
1 SAM splint
1 blood pressure cuff
1 stethoscope
1 5 1/2" Lister bandage scissors
1 board splint
1 ring cutter
1 nylon holster kit
1 EMT all-purpose shears
1 each 5 1/2" Kelly forceps
1 disposable penlight
1 Velcro tourniquet
1 each 4 1/2" splinter clamps
1 bite stick

EMS Supplies
1 Insta-Glucose
1 disposable rescue blanket
6 disposable instant cold compresses
2 instant heat compresses
2 pair latex gloves
10 Medicaine swabs
10 antiseptic swabs
10 ammonia inhalants

Airway Management
6 airways (sizes 1-6)
MDi Micromask

Bag #2

4 gauze rolls- Jumbo- conco medical brand
48 gauze sponges-non sterile- 2X2
13 advanced healing band-aids
5 blister pads-spenco brand
8 moist burn pads- spenco brand
42 alcohol pads- reli-on brand
10 cleansing wipes J and J brand
23 band-aids curad brand
44 band-aids J And J brand
4 spot band-aids J And J brand
7 spot band-aids Curad Brand
1 3M nexcare large band-aid
1 J And J brand Large band-aid
10 curad brand large band-aids
4 medium size band-aid 3M nexare brand
22 small band-aids 3M nexcare brand
9 medium size band-aids 3M nexcare
1 package of 2X2 gauze sponges non-sterile
1 package of sof-kling gauze rolls non-sterile
2 packages of sof-kling gauze rolls non-sterile
1 sharps container
10 syringes 10cc B-D brand STERILE
2 5ml syringes B-D brand STERILE
1 bottle of burn-jel water jel Brand
1 bottle of topical antiseptic solution
1 bottle of hydrogen peroxide
1 spray bottle of gold bond first-aid spray
2 tubes of triple antibiotic ointment
1 small bottle of eye drops
1 gold bond first-aid wipe
1 bulb syringe
11 small packs of first-aid crème curad brand
1 surgipad combine pad 8X10 sterile
1 release non adhering dressing 8X3 sterile
2 telfa non- adhering dressing 8X3 sterile
2 non-adhering dressing 3X3 sterile
2 gauze pads 2X2 sterile
1 abd pad 5X9 sterile hemitage brand
10 abd pads 5X9 sterile gulf south medical brand
20 gauze sponges 4X4 sterile gulf south medical brand
19 gauze pads 3X4 sterile J And J brand
20 gauze pads 2X3 sterile J and J brand
24 gauze pads 2X2 sterile J and J brand
28 gauze pads 2X2 sterile J and J brand
1 box of butterfly closures J and J brand
3 packages of steri-strips ¼ in. X 4 in.
1 tedaderm dressing 2 3/8 in. X 2 ¾ in.
1 bag of non-sterile Q-tips
2 rolls of dermicel tape
1 roll of waterproof tape with spool J And J brand
2 rolls of no name tape
1 roll of 3M Transpore tape
20 2 x 2 gauze sponges sterile gulf south medical brand.
5 latex tourniquets
1 blood pressure cuff adult
2 sprague rappaport stethoscopes.
2 no name ace bandage
1 ace brand bandage
2 3M nexcare coban wrap
2 3M nexcare sports tape- large rolls-
1 3M nexcare large instant cold pack
1 res-cue mask with hard case- ambu brand
1 tube of flexall gel
1 arm sling with blue pad
1 ace brand elbow brace
1 B-D brand rib belt
2 no name knee brace
1 finger splint
1 pair of latex gloves
1 knife
1 dropper
1 non sterile syringe 10cc B-D brand
2 scissors-metal- no brand
3 forceps-metal- no brand
1 bandage scissors no brand
1 tweezers- plastic
1 tweezers- metal
1 box of latex gloves 100/box
--------------------------------------------------------
1 first responder holster gold Color
contents:
1 paramedic shears
1 penlight
1 bandage shears
1 mosquito forceps
1 holster
--------------------------------------------------------

2 no name ace bandage
1 ace brand bandage
2 3M nexcare coban wrap
2 3M nexcare sports tape- large rolls-
1 3M nexcare large instant cold pack
1 res-cue mask with hard case- ambu brand
1 tube of flexall gel
1 arm sling with blue pad
1 ace brand elbow brace
1 B-D brand rib belt
2 no name knee brace
1 finger splint
1 pair of latex gloves
1 knife
1 dropper
1 non sterile syringe 10cc B-D brand
2 scissors-metal- no brand
3 forceps-metal- no brand
1 bandage scissors no brand
1 tweezers- plastic
1 tweezers- metal

Thanks For Looking,

Brendan EMT-B

kghemtp
04-26-2004, 03:41 PM
backboard, stretcher, and AED would about make this ambulance complete!!!

I'd say you're prepared for a lot of things

What are you using the sharps container for?

You may want to find a BVM, an EMS field guide (primarily for meds), a pen & pad of paper for vitals. That's what jumps out at me at first glance

Oh, and if you're still in the class, why did you already include "EMT-B"?

safetyhappy
04-26-2004, 05:20 PM
That is *way* more stuff than I have in mine...I can't be called Mr. Safetyhappy anymore if anyone I know sees your list (and onetime someone saw my kit and asked if I was an E.M.T.). You seem very well prepared!!!!

SafetyPro
04-26-2004, 06:41 PM
stethoscope
BP cuff
BVM
airways
gauze
gloves
notepad & pen
penlight
EMT shears

That's it. Kit's about 10x5x7.

firespec35
04-27-2004, 01:35 AM
I think you got a little overkill there. If this is just to carry in your pov to have if you come across a PI or something like that. You have to think what you will actually use.

I keep.

1 Trauma Pad
1 Sterile Burn Sheet
1 adjustable C-collar
1 BP Cuff & Stethoscope (I never could spell it)
1 OB kit (a little whacker but I used to use my kit at my Special Events Job)
rigid and soft airways with KY
Trauma Supplies- 4x4's, 5x9's, various sizes and types of tape, Kling, Ace Wraps etc...
a pocket mask
Bandaids
wipes- Alcohol preps, Betadine preps, etc...
1 bottle of alcohol gel for my hands.
A butload of gloves.

I can fit all of this into one of those small packs with the overflap about 14" x 12" x 12"

Just my 2 cents

emtman
04-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by kghemtp
backboard, stretcher, and AED would about make this ambulance complete!!!

I'd say you're prepared for a lot of things

What are you using the sharps container for?

You may want to find a BVM, an EMS field guide (primarily for meds), a pen & pad of paper for vitals. That's what jumps out at me at first glance

Oh, and if you're still in the class, why did you already include "EMT-B"?

Hello,

Sorry..It's Not A Sharps Container. It's A Biohazerd Container. I Do Have A ALS EMS Field Guide..I'm Looking To Buy A BVM, Sterile Water, Sodium Chloride(saline), D Size Oxygen Tank, C-Collar, Backboard,

I Mean I'm A Freak About Medical/Trauma Problems....At One Time When I Was Ten I Was Jumping Of The Kitchen Counter And My Leg Got Caught On This Little Metal Piece...TEAR...I Had A 4 In. Across 3 In. Deep WOUND...No Bleeding(Thank God)...You Could See Muscle Tissue!! I Went To The ER About Four Hours Later...They Where Freaked Out About Infection(Of Course)..Everything Went Well So Here I Am. So That's Why I'm A Medical Freak. Becouse If It Started Bleeding Bad Ems Was About 15-20 Away..

I'm Think I'm Going To Pass In Four Days So That's Why I Put In EMT-B

Brendan
EMt-B In Training

safetyhappy
04-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by emtman

I'm Looking To Buy A BVM, Sterile Water, Sodium Chloride(saline), D Size Oxygen Tank, C-Collar, Backboard,

I buy my sterile water and saline solution from www.savelives.com I just priced some yesterday it is $2.50 for a liter of saline I'm not sure what it is for the sterile water. You can also get the 250 ml and 500 ml bottles as well as a case.

Medic162
04-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Dude,
You have quite the kit. One item you're missing is a backbrace for yourself! I'm just busting your chops... The "newbie" shines through, but ya know what - if you want to carry a monster bag, you go boy. As the years tick by, you'll probably streamline a bit. We all start out like you, carrying everything, and as we get older and get the experience under our belt, we change our personal bags around a bit. In my attic, is the old Thomas ALS backpack that I toted around for years. I still keep it stocked up with BLS and "light" ALS stuff, just incase a schoolbus crashes in front of my house. Right now, I have in my truck about as basic as a bag as you can get, a mask, gloves, shears, light and some very basic bandaging stuff - enough to get by until a crew shows up. My vice is equally strong to the fire side of things. I'll cautiously admit that I have my 6 pound fire axe in its leather scabbard resting behind my trucks seat. As I carry it at both my career job and vollie house, it always stays with me. I catch hell for this when someone looks in my cab, but hey, it's my "good luck charm". Rabbits feet don't get you into a house or through a roof;) I checked out your link to "NEEDI", looks like great pricing. What about the quality of their bags??? I'd purchase one of the small trauma bags for my wife's vehicle if the quality is there. I question bags with that low of pricing. Let me know what you think. Surf around the EMS Forums a bit and see the many posts regarding personal bags. Lots of good info in here, you might come up with something your not yet carrying:D

brokenglassjaw
04-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Woha and I thought I had over kill going on. I've got 2 bags one with all my common used stuff for trauma and a small bag w/ airways, Adult BVM and Toddler BMV. I thought I was going overkill with having c-collars, BVMs, OB KIT, Massive Trauma Kit, Burn sheets, and saline. But you really have me BEAT.

Sad thing is i've had to use most of my stuff when i'm out in rural areas near where I live.

ThanksALatte
05-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Hoky dinah! That's a MASSIVE kit! I just bought one offa ebay (through an ebay store, actually). I wasn't going to, but then I realized that I didn't know the adequacy (or existence) of the kit at the camp I'll be working at this summer. I won't be the health director or anything, but there will be two EMTs on staff (the head lifeguard and me...the head female summer staffer) and my memories travelled back to my second summer on staff there when three massive accidents (one fatality) happened within three weeks.
Anyway, this is what's in it:
Penlight
Trauma shears (they're just fun to have!)
Bite stick
Adult BVM
Emergency blanket
20 antiseptic wipes
5 5"x9" sterile abd pads
5 2"conforming bandages
5 3" conforming bandages
5 4" conforming bandages
10 4x4s
20 2x2s
100 alcohol preps
4" elastic bandage
2" elastic bandage
triangular bandage
a truckload of bandaids
a roll of 1" surgical tape
a surgical mask with eyeshield
8 OPAs
5 bio bags
6 NPAs/lubricant packs
1 OB Kit (i was informed that I "had" to have one because it's fun and it wasn't expensive)
a SAM splint
250mL Saline
250mL sterile water (what is the difference between the two for irrigation anyway?)
1 adjustable adult C-Collar
a disposable ice pack
lots of gloves (i carry my own gloves since no agency carries extra smalls on a regular basis...hehe)
a pocket mask

It all fits in my medium sized bag and it's nice and light. Is there anything else that I should have for a camp setting? The camp will have bandaids and stuff like that, but this will stay in my room in the event that it would take too long or be too much of a hassle to run to another building. And, the first aid squad (which is literally 30 seconds down the road) has been known to take over 20 minutes to arrive due to the fact that it's 100% volunteer and so the volunteers don't stay at the station, and are paged and have to report before taking off in the ambulance...*shakes head*
I was thinking about buying glucose and activated charcoal, but might skip the glucose because my instructor told me to just buy a little tube of gel icing and it works the same but it's cheaper...

Latte

blueeighty88
05-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Boy, I thought I was one to over prepare! I bought so much crap over the years, now I can't get rid of it fast enough... Anyone need a backboard? You can buy 5 to a case from the military, I have one left. Check out my eBay auctions for ems supplies...

How about an air splint kit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3814247302&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

How about a spare Oxygen tank?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3814255664&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

emtman
06-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Now I Have A Littmann Master Classic Stethoscope So Here Comes More Stuff . Check Back Soon....!!!!

Brendan

emt12
07-19-2009, 08:47 AM
i think you went a little over board with your kit. i carry sterile water, alcohol prep pads, finger splint,antibiotic ointment, bandaids, Xl bandaids, tape, kling, 4x4's and 3x3's scope and cuff, blanket, elastic bandage, penlight, sheers, liquid bandage and a triangular bandage and a cpr mask. just what i need till the ambulance arrives.
stay safe,
emt12

payrs_medic
07-21-2009, 06:33 AM
Dude!

You are carrying way too much- I don't know the scope of practice of an EMT-B. But that seems a little extreme to me I'm qualified and registered as an Ambulance Emergency Asssistant. I carry fluids (4 Hartman Solutions, 1 0.9% Saline 1000ml and then 2 Voluven/Haemecell) in my jumpbag some bandages and tampons(great for big lacerations and gsw's) guaze, burnshields, rescue blankets. my BP Cuff stet, gloves tourniquet, airways, syringes and needles, hospital tags (marking Codes if you run out of mass casualty tags), alcohol swabs, oxygen masks (nasal cannulae, nebulising masks), two complete sets to handle maternity cases (Clamps etc),

But that's just me, I only do Primary response so the other equipment is carried on the Ambulances, that I might need .

emt161
07-24-2009, 12:55 AM
i think you went a little over board with your kit.
emt12

I think you dug up a 5 year-old thread and expected him to answer.

I also can't help but notice most of the long-deceased threads you've exhumed are about whacker bags. Coincidence?

RescueYou
08-27-2009, 09:18 PM
OK. Well, if you just look at the contents, it's not a horribly bad bag. It's got enough in there for most situations unless you have multiple patients or multiple needs that require the same supply that you only have a few of. Also, yeah...I also want to know why do you have sharps with you?

To be honest though, it's overkill. For goodness sake, if you ever need to use a lot of that stuff, you should be calling 911. Not to mention that unless you are covered by a big insurance agency, you can get sued badly for using some of that if out of your district or medical span of care. I have two EMT bags that I personally own. One for the car, one for the house. I am covered by insurance though for malpractice and we have nice Good Samaritan laws here just in case. In general (and this isn't quite everything, but it's most of it...I'm not going to go get my bag and take inventory right now lol) I carry:

Sheers, 2 types of tape, space blanket, penlight, heat compress, 2 ice packs, asprin/tylenol- adult and children, board splint, biohazard bag, 3 pairs of gloves- latex free, tweezers, instaglucose, glucose meter and test strips, bandaids- 3 sizes, stethoscope, bp cuff, 2 ace bandages, 2 SAM splints, first aid ointment, cortizone, 1 adult and 1 child foldable c-collar, small flashlight, batteries, flare sticks (beside car bag...for nighttime car accidents), bite stick, 2 ammonia inhalents, 2 rolls of gauze, gauze pads -3 sizes...1 of each, burn ointment, thermometer, finger splint, saline, tissues, alcohol wipes, cleansing wipes, antiseptic swabs, sting swab, providone iodine swab stick, mini call sheet notebook for getting vitals, and sterile water.
I used to carry oral/nasalpharyngeals with an adult BVM, but not anymore. My car has a portable AED too, but I can't legally use it off-duty since I'm an EMT (one of those really stupid laws.)

Anyways, if I were to ever have to use some of those things, I'd call 911 first.

**EVERY EMS PROVIDER needs to carry a plain, white bedsheet or towel in their car 24/7, 365. Two times I've shown up on scenes where there was a D.O.A. and bystanders need not to be looking at a dead body. Give the deceased patient's family some privacy and cover up the body (or at least face) until a body bag or the coroner arrives.**

RescueYou
08-27-2009, 09:27 PM
23 band-aids curad brand
44 band-aids J And J brand
20 gauze sponges 4X4 sterile gulf south medical brand
19 gauze pads 3X4 sterile J And J brand
20 gauze pads 2X3 sterile J and J brand
24 gauze pads 2X2 sterile J and J brand
28 gauze pads 2X2 sterile J and J brand

I just went back through and really thoroughly read your jump bag contents.....

Who the hell needs 67 f***** bandaids?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?! The patient might as well be a dead mummy wrapped in them!!! D***!!!!! I know you want to be prepared and all, but my god! And 91 gauze pads?!?!?!?! Tone it wayyyyyy down dude. There's a thing called taking inventory after each call and replacing things. Don't carry a lifetime supply! Not to mention that if something were to happen to your bag (water or heat damage, theft, somehow lose it, etc) you'd have lost thousands of dollars worth of stuff where as if you cut down to the necessities, you won't lose as much.

rcar23
08-30-2009, 02:45 AM
I know this is an OOOOLLLLDDDD Thread, but to those who have recently responded. If I was a chief or sup for an fire dept/EMS provider...I would be concerned that someone is carrying this "kit" in their POV. A D Tank for O2??? That sounds like a vigilante EMT to me. Shoot, that guy has (or had, being a 5 year old thread) a rescue not a POV. lol.

popknot
09-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I used to carry oral/nasalpharyngeals with an adult BVM, but not anymore.

I'm throwing the BS flag on this. OPA/NPA/BVM use is now taught to CPR providers, how can it be illegal for an EMT to use them ?

My car has a portable AED too, but I can't legally use it off-duty since I'm an EMT (one of those really stupid laws.)

That's ignorant. AEDs are designed to be used by untrained people, in an offline medical direction environment. (Look at most large event stadiums, they're next to the fire extinguishers) If the victim of a SCA was fortunate enough to have you witness his event...YOU WOULDN'T USE IT ? If you're going to do this half-assed, do the rest of the world a favor and do something else. If you tell me your employer or medical direction has advised you to not use an AED, you need to change jurisdiction before they're "guidance" gets you sued or imprisoned.

Good sam law will cover you if you provide care "gratuitously and in good faith" and don't exceed your scope of practice OR commit gross negligence.

If you happen upon an emergency (see above) and are well prepared, good on you. If you're responding as an agency, you need to be under their umbrella. ie: notify dispatch, get a run #, fill out a trip ticket, etc.

Anyways, if I were to ever have to use some of those things, I'd call 911 first.

And what would you do in the mean time ?

**EVERY EMS PROVIDER needs to carry a plain, white bedsheet or towel in their car 24/7, 365. Two times I've shown up on scenes where there was a D.O.A. and bystanders need not to be looking at a dead body. Give the deceased patient's family some privacy and cover up the body (or at least face) until a body bag or the coroner arrives.**

Nice thought, but that's a pretty strong statement "24/7/365". If there is a fatality, I'm usually going to be busy. Get the cops to do it.

Dr.Skawman
09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't want to change the topic in this post, but I got a little confused. I thought AED use by laypersons wasn´t legal in every state of the US, but then y read this...

My car has a portable AED too, but I can't legally use it off-duty since I'm an EMT (one of those really stupid laws.)

That's ignorant. AEDs are designed to be used by untrained people, in an offline medical direction environment. (Look at most large event stadiums, they're next to the fire extinguishers) If the victim of a SCA was fortunate enough to have you witness his event...YOU WOULDN'T USE IT ? If you're going to do this half-assed, do the rest of the world a favor and do something else. If you tell me your employer or medical direction has advised you to not use an AED, you need to change jurisdiction before they're "guidance" gets you sued or imprisoned.

Good sam law will cover you if you provide care "gratuitously and in good faith" and don't exceed your scope of practice OR commit gross negligence.

Popknot.... as I understand, Good Samaritan Law and AED use by laypersons is not the same for ALL the US states and beeing so, not everyone in the US can use an AED; it depends in whish state he is when useing it... Am I right with my apreciation?

dr-exmedic
09-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't want to change the topic in this post, but I got a little confused. I thought AED use by laypersons wasn´t legal in every state of the US, but then y read this...
There isn't a single state that has made AED use illegal. And what isn't against the law, is legal.

For a while, you needed a prescription to buy one, but even that has changed--there are a few models approved for OTC sales.

VentMedic
09-11-2009, 01:34 PM
There isn't a single state that has made AED use illegal. And what isn't against the law, is legal.

For a while, you needed a prescription to buy one, but even that has changed--there are a few models approved for OTC sales.

But, if some EMT wannabe is carrying one around just incase they get a chance to play hero, I think the state might frown on that. This is overstepping the boundaries of the Good Sam law. If a layperson or off duty EMT is in an airport or health club and has the opportunity use an AED, they are now acting under the expectations in the guidelines of being a Good Sam. If you are giving the impression of acting under the guidelines of your EMS employer even when off duty and of no obligation, the employer has every right to be concerned.

croaker260
09-11-2009, 03:46 PM
But, if some EMT wannabe is carrying one around just incase they get a chance to play hero, I think the state might frown on that. This is overstepping the boundaries of the Good Sam law. If a layperson or off duty EMT is in an airport or health club and has the opportunity use an AED, they are now acting under the expectations in the guidelines of being a Good Sam. If you are giving the impression of acting under the guidelines of your EMS employer even when off duty and of no obligation, the employer has every right to be concerned.

It all depends on the way the Good sam law was written. I would say it oversteps the INTENT of most good sam laws, but I know of one case that went to the states upper court because the good am law was written broad enough it covered volunteer EMTs during a response. SO it depends on the way the states law was written.

VentMedic
09-11-2009, 03:50 PM
It all depends on the way the Good sam law was written. I would say it oversteps the INTENT of most good sam laws, but I know of one case that went to the states upper court because the good am law was written broad enough it covered volunteer EMTs during a response. SO it depends on the way the states law was written.

Healthcare professionals can be covered under the Good Sam law. Volunteer EMTs can be also but if they are responding to a call with an AED, there should not be any question as to the legality of its use.

dr-exmedic
09-11-2009, 06:31 PM
But, if some EMT wannabe is carrying one around just incase they get a chance to play hero, I think the state might frown on that.
As croaker already pointed out, that may depend on the state, but in general, I'd agree.

I'd also be a bit ticked if I met an EMT complaining about making $8/hr with a $1500 AED in the trunk. :)

VentMedic
09-11-2009, 08:09 PM
AED laws by state:

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14506

AED/Good Sam

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3024007

http://www.cprinstructor.com/legal.htm

popknot
09-12-2009, 02:29 PM
lets be clear:

This thread was started by a young, well meaning, albeit overenthusiastic soon-to-be EMT. He's probably been burnt out and retired by now according to the age of his last post.

I think OP blurred the line by buying the everlasting-gobstopper-of-all-trauma-bags and then posting the contents of same on this forum. I've never had to decide between using a sterile 2x2 vs. a sterile 4x4. I don't think you'd ever need the choice outside of a clinical setting, if then. I'll chalk this one up to youthful exuberance and wish him the best in his new career, if indeed he has one.

ANYWAY: back to the good sam law. The GSL is designed to protect anyone, especially off duty medical people of any ilk from vicious-shotgun lawsuits when they rendered aid "gratuitously" (for free) and in "good faith" (they thought they were doing what was best at the time).

Along these lines several conditions must be met. 1.) no negligence on the part of the person providing care. Sorry to disappoint you, but if you use a steak knife to trach a choking victim, you're not covered by GSL. 2.) "gratuitously" is defined as "for free" as well as "not on-duty or being in a position to respond" ie: that of vol FF or EMT or other such situation. This means that if you work for a VFD/EMS outfit, whatever, AND ARE DISPATCHED to the call, you are not covered by GSL. Nor should you be. If you "self dispatch" over scanner traffic or follow a cop car to an accident, (not advised) you need to have your SOP figured out BEFORE you act.

If you agency is OK with you being "24-7" then OK. Some allow it and encourage it, some forbid it. If you are "24-7" you need to be abreast of the procedure to follow for such events. ie: calling in for a run # and times after-the-fact, carrying a contact or refusal form ( and an AMA refusal will get sticky, do you also have a MEDS radio to patch with and consult the ED? now it gets complicated and expensive. Hence running the risk of supplanting the existing system in any area will get you in trouble.

HOWEVER: if you are witness to an incident (say for example, out of your agency's response area) and provide care, you will be covered as an off-duty medical person, making a reasonable attempt at providing care with what you have available.

I've seen some of the comments posted here about not carrying a jump bag or limiting what you can carry and they strike me as an infantile or a just plain inexperienced way of thinking.

As for me, Ive carried a jump bag even since before I was certified as an EMT (i was an AFA/CPR). The OP reminded me of myself 25 years ago. If I'm in my first-due, i call in and report on scene and go to work, I'm "on duty" now and covered by my agencies $ 10,000,000 liability policy. If I'm outside my first due, i act under GSL and watch my *** (scope of practice, negligence, etc) . This means allowing the existing system (Agency Having Jurisdiction or AHJ) in place to come in and do their thing, as they deem necessary. They will get a report from me and whatever assistance they need to finish up. They will also have the responsibility to deal with refusals, determine transport, call for more resources, etc. In this situation, I'm a first-responding , off-duty, EMT that stopped to lend a hand before the AHJ arrived. I'm not circumventing the existing system, I'm just the stop-gap until the AHJ does get there.

If the OP, as a well meaning new EMT without an employer, is cruising around looking for accidents to respond to, he needs to realize the danger he is placing himself in. Is he looking to respond and work at an accident site, is he trying to substitute himself for the existing system ? Is the AHJ going to tolerate this continuously ? I doubt it. OP needs to work somewhere as an EMT and follow their SOP, or stick to being a (exceptionally well prepared) off-duty, first responder.

This grey area is where I would use caution.

Dr.Skawman
09-13-2009, 01:15 PM
It all depends on the way the Good sam law was written.....

As croaker already pointed out, that may depend on the state, but in general, I'd agree......

AED laws by state:

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14506

AED/Good Sam

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3024007

http://www.cprinstructor.com/legal.htm
Thank U guys for all your comments and links on this topic... Now I´m less confused :confused:

Greetings

DrBob
09-13-2009, 11:57 PM
That's quite an ER you have there EMTMAN. Experience will pare it down rather quickly. I do have a few questions I think would be interesting for this group: can you go through some of those dressing supplies and explain under what circumstances you envision using some of the more specialized stuff over the basics?
BTW, I'm new here and my first post so be nice to an old man please.

I drew up a quick list from memory and added a few newer things you guys carry nowadays like GLOVES! Anyway, try this list for size:
adult BP cuff
Littmann Stethoscope
set OPAs
7mm NPA
K-Y packs 3
BVM
Lg bulb syring with 4" section of suction tubing attached
Laryngoscope w #3 Miller blade attached; #3 Mac & #1 Miller spare
malleable stylette
10cc syringe
adult Magill forceps
4.0-8.0 ET tubes: 7.5 Endotrol tube
homemade bite stick (3 tongue blades wrapped with 4x4 and taped)
Tube with BGL sticks, lancets, swabs, and Band-Aid dots
3 packs honey from 7-11 type store's coffer pot
4 4x4s or 4x3s (preferred)
2 Abds
2 rolls 3" Kling
1 vaseline gauze unless you have one of those new spiffy flutter valve jobies (Btw, you don't open the Vaseline foil pack--you leave it closed as an occlusive dsg over a sterile one)
1 roll cloth tape (pref. silk)
Bio-crud bag
Boo-coo Nitrile gloves or surgical gloves
face mask w/ windshield
2 bio-funk gowns
adult C-collar
benzoin ampules for crew's upper lips on stinky calls; prep for tape
1 bottle saline for irrigation (easier on tissues than hypotonic sterile water)
box with misc Band-aids. Esp. have some Snoopy, Elmo, or other cartoon character for those big strong guys who want their boo-boo fixed at the ER
2 terry cloth towels ( field expedient c-collar, padding, restraint, sop up Bio-funk)
bottle of liquid ammonia--not ampules. If you hold an ampule in front of someone who isn't nice, they'll bite your hand. Instead, pour ammonia on an Abd pad and hold over their face. If they're faking a seizure and not comatose, they will arouse but when they bite, they'll get a mouth full of cotton instead of you.
Stuff all that in a small backpack.
The medic should carry his own good stethoscope, small non-LED flashlight, gloves, alcohol gel, roll 2" tape, Sharpie pen, and shears. Now, I used a large pair of German straight shears for 13 yrs and loved them! Made by Gingher I believe. You hold open about 30 degrees and push while holding pants legs and they slit the pants faster than anything I've ever seen. The tips are used for neuro checks like Babinski's and painful withdraw. The handle makes for a reflex hammer. They can cut through a leather belt or seat belt in one second and rarely needed sharpening. I made my own case so they rode in my hip pocket.

BTW, true tournequets are BS--I never used one inspite of numerous amputations--Wads of dsgs w/ tape. Also never met a medic who ever saw a car blow up ala' Hollywood. Some burned fast but never detonated on impact.

EMTMAN, remember KISS principle. Learn to do fast but thorough assessments. Learn Rx, which tells you Pt Hx. Everybody has their radar 'on' at the Knife and Gun Club calls. It's the other calls that will get you hurt. Watch the movie "Mother, Jugs, and Speed" when Leroy knocks on the door unprepared. NEVER stand in front of a door---ever. Always have escape routes. Always watch the eyes of the bystanders because they will tell you who is trouble. Never let bystanders get behind you. Control the scene. You can save more Pts with a stethoscope and a triangular bandage than all the rest of that crap on your list combined. Not busting on you--I was there once myself. You just learn what works and what is needed. Carry cheat sheet cards in your pocket for GCS, APGAR, Downs Score, etc. Get a rugged, cheap, low profile watch with an analog sweep second hand you can read in poor light. When you get to the ER, try to find out what the Doc found and correlate with your findings. Ask him about breath sounds, grading of edema, etc. What did you miss? What were you incorrect on? Hey, even Docs have to learn somehow. Try to find out what the labs came back, esp ABGs and how to read them. Same for EKGs. Correlate your breath sounds with CXR. What trauma you found vs. missed. What was underlying that contusion or abrasion--surgical intervention or just road rash?

You'll get there. Good luck,
DrBob

rescuehd_69
11-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Ok, I have read all these posting and there is alot of good thought. I was just going to put what I carrry. I am a Rural EMS provider as an EMT-B. My jump bag contains alot of things and to be honest when I put it together I thought I would NEVER use some of the things, however I have learned that it was a good idea to have. I also noticed that nobody that i seen had anything to do with peds, I was alittle supprised by this. The contents of my jump bag include:

2-500mL Sterile H2O
1-5mL Eye Wash
25- 4x4's
10-ABD
2-10x30 Trauma Dressing
3-6" Kling
Extra Lancets
2-3" Ace wraps
Pen Light
Tourniquit
Medicaine Swabs
Ammonia inhalants
2-Hot packs
2-Cold packs
Trauma shears
2" and 3" tape
2- Adult Non-Rebreather Mask
2-Adult Nasal Canulas
Entire set of NPA
Entire set of OPA
Combi-tube
Adult, Child, and Infant BVM
Peds Non Rebreather Mask
Peds Nasal canulas
Jumbo D O2 Tank
Glucometer
Thermometer (Tympanic and Hypothermic)
3 tubes Glucose
Pulse Ox
Stethoscope
Entire Set of BP cuffs
Biohazard container
Biohazard bags
Burn sheets
OB kit
PPE kit
In a seperate bag which I call my Extrication bad I have the Following:
2-sets of head blocks
Tape
3-Adult select C-collars
3-Ped select C-collars
2-Infant C-collars
Extra back board straps
Extra hot pack (needed a bunch one time and didn't have enough in the winter months)
I also carry portable suction that is battery operated.

Just so this doesn't rise any questions, everything listed is in the scope of practice and authorized by my local medical control authorities.

VentMedic
11-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Just so this doesn't rise any questions, everything listed is in the scope of practice and authorized by my local medical control authorities.

Do your medical control authorities(?) reimburse you for the cost of all of these supplies since they do expire and must be changed out? Or, do you just let the local hospital "take the hit" instead of your EMS agency for all of those supplies? Are you with an ambulance service? Do you fill out a PCR and bill through that service for any personal supplies used? Who keeps the records for the quality control on your O2 tanks and who pays for the PM every 6 months on the pulse oximetry as well as the records?

rc3ls
11-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Does your rural department pay for all of this? If not it has to cost a lot of money.