Closed Thread

Default Active Shooter policy?

Does anyone have any information on the subject? I have been tasked with writing a policy for my department. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance..............

What specifically are you asking about? EMS should not be entering an active shooter scenario, unless they are part of a tactical response team. The best approach is developing a policy whereby you implement a Casualty Collection Point where the patients can be brought to the medical team.

That's why I am asking what you're looking for, because any policy that sends EMS into an active shooter scenario would put your agency at risk for legal action should something happen to the prehospital provider.

You might check this out. I just did a quick Google and it's the first relevant thing I found.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=9&gl=us
    Last edited by Asclepius; 02-14-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added Link
    Asclepius ~

NREMT-P, ACLS - EP, AMLS, GEMS, PALS, PACTS, PEPP, NAEMD, ITLS, PHTLS, CEVO II

if there is an active shooter on scene, stage a block away (or greater) until said active shooter has been mitigated by PD.

or you can just don bulletproof vests, hide behind trees, and run in between the gunfire. at least thats what they did on Rescue 77
    Dan
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ Fire & EMS

Although I am not a medical doctor, I did stay in a holiday in last night....

"If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!" -- taken from Rittner

Remember the rule of thumb........

Close one eye, put the ipsilateral thumb in front of the open eye - if you can see teh area where the incident is ongoing.......then you are way too f@cking close.
    Minister of bitterness and cynicism - I.A.C.O.J. - EMS division

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

DaSharkie has the right idea here. Rule of Thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    if there is an active shooter on scene, stage a block away (or greater) until said active shooter has been mitigated by PD.

or you can just don bulletproof vests, hide behind trees, and run in between the gunfire. at least thats what they did on Rescue 77
    Exactly stay away and let PD handle. If it becomes an extended incident then PD will set-up a command post where your EMS rep should be.

Some other things to consider: where to evacuate people both injured and uninjured; how to transport large number of people (buses, etc...); staging location for ambulance (if you have an extended incident where PD has to clear a building these folks could be staged for a while).

Once the scene is secured and/or contained it becomes like any other mass causulty or disaster. This is the type of plan to work with fire, PD and who ever runs your EOC.