Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best places to live and work.

Hello everyone,

I am currently an EMT-I in Georgia. I am attending paramedic school and hope to finish a BS in Emergency Management. I have a question for all the members here. I will be getting deployed with the national guard and when I return home I have decided I want to move from GA. I am asking for opinions on places to move to, because I am creating a list of my top 10 places and I am going to apply at these places. My criteria are pretty simple. I want to move to a top notch system, and I do not care if it is EMS only or if its fire based as long as its a good place to work. I want to be close to outdoor sports, no sport in particular I love them all. I am looking for it to be affordable on an EMS salary because I dont have a rich uncle. Here are a few ideas so far. Asheville NC, Greenville SC, Autin Tx, Seattle WA, and Pheonix AZ. All advice is appreciated, i know its kind of an ambitious plan but hey you only get one life right.

www.adaparamedics.org

Cheaper to live here than Seattle and closer to the outdoors!
    Steve

Paramedic, CCEMT-P, Geek

"Boldness is like a condom. If you depend on it all the time, no matter how good it is, and no matter how good you are, eventually it will break. "

"Personally, I believe that if we write our CE, text books, and curricula at the physician level instead of the kindergarten level, our medics and EMTs will rise to the occasion and meet the higher standard....."

Youtube of PPT, www.slideshare.com Post your best, share with the rest!

Hey, I work in Greenville SC. It is an awesome place to live, not to expensive to live here and the salary is fairly good. Having said that, GCEMS is undergoing a lot of changes right now. We have switched from static trucks to a modified system status. There are also a lot of upper management problems right now. It is one of the more aggressive systems in the states but I would suggest that you come and visit before making the final decision.

I can tell you to avoid SW Pennsylvania and NE Ohio like the plague....
    Disclaimer: dr-exmedic is just a resident. Give him a break.

....Not here.

Austin whoop whoop!!! lol

Fairfax County FRD, Va. Top notch, IMO. Excellent pay, bennies, DROP program. Affordable to live, if you don't mind an hour or more commute. Nine month rigorous recruit process, including 16 weeks of in station ALS training, on a medic unit. 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off.

What about Nashville?

There are many EMS services here that pay decent. Cost of living is good and benefits are better than most, especially with the larger agencies. Although I live 20 min from downtown, I am 2 miles from Percy Priest lake (and Long Hunter state park & firing range) and 20 minutes from Old Hickory lake. There is plenty to do (including sports) and the city is growing leaps and bounds.

p.s. Go Titans

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    What about Nashville?

There are many EMS services here that pay decent. Cost of living is good and benefits are better than most, especially with the larger agencies. Although I live 20 min from downtown, I am 2 miles from Percy Priest lake (and Long Hunter state park & firing range) and 20 minutes from Old Hickory lake. There is plenty to do (including sports) and the city is growing leaps and bounds.

p.s. Go Titans
    I used to live in Clarksville-Ashland city-Pleasant View..all less than an hour N of Nashville.

Not a bad choice, but I like Boise better, though Nashville gets more metal concerts!

Though for pay (NFD and MCEMS are exceptions), and the 24-48 schedual most services still work...eh. But then again, Ive been gone for 10 years so it may have changed.
    Steve

Paramedic, CCEMT-P, Geek

"Boldness is like a condom. If you depend on it all the time, no matter how good it is, and no matter how good you are, eventually it will break. "

"Personally, I believe that if we write our CE, text books, and curricula at the physician level instead of the kindergarten level, our medics and EMTs will rise to the occasion and meet the higher standard....."

Youtube of PPT, www.slideshare.com Post your best, share with the rest!

NFD is still paying good, with those starting on the fire side or EMS as an EMT around $40k after probation.